This is the tale of an octopus invasion on a Welsh beach
You may have come across the sensationalist headlines (Fox News anyone?), so fitting with Halloween, that some sleepy Welsh beaches have suffered from an octopus invasion? Although, watching the videos of people poking the poor guys, you gotta wonder who actually suffered the most!?
But why did they actually invade the beach?
- lost their way and beached themselves like whales (unlikely)
- were blown ashore by a storm and high tides (also unlikely although the most prominent explanation)
- foraged on the shore (despite being possible, highly unlikely)
- were old and fuddy-duddy (not as unlikely as you think)
- are more social than we previously thought and are gathering for some sex, drugs & rock n’roll (pretty likely, actually!)
Or, the most likely explanation is actually that human interference with the ocean and our climate have benefitted cephalopods so much that they are actually taking over. Mwahahaha.
And if that didn’t terrify you enough, just watch how calmly this octopus drowns this seagull.